Pages

Saturday, November 15, 2014

My Crowded, Grateful Mind (1)

There is so much crowding my head!
  • I am thankful for Courtney taking my children to the park.
  • I am thankful that I have the opportunity to see people as individuals, not just as their assigned roles to one another.
  • I am thankful for the way the media spreads ideas, but I am horrified by the rapidity with which societies, such as those in Syria, can be completely devastated.
  • I am moved and perplexed by the way that ultimately it is our small daily actions which make the greatest impact on everyone & everything everywhere. It is our personal relationships. It is embracing the notion that we are mirrors and that the greatest way to change others is to first change ourselves.
  • It strikes me that all of us have some sort of internal blueprint for exacting this personal change and that the thing which gets in the way is all sorts of intense social programming otherwise coupled with self-directed fear and doubt.
  • It also strikes me how this social programming connects itself with money and our notions of value. Changing our perception of this would help change the world. But, what a large and daunting task this is! We are very attached to our comforts.
  • How can we honor our attachments while not allowing them to dictate and ultimately take our lives? As with an article I read today about a Syrian couple, it was the decision to stay within their cherished home which led to their death. Had they fled the first time they had the notion, then likely they would not have encountered death at the border. It was ultimately the waiting which killed them.
  • Waiting is a delicate task. Consider birth. Waiting until the appropriate time is necessary. Waiting too long is deadly. So it is with everything.

Today I am sitting in the book store with two magazines. One paints pictures of the problems, the other the solutions. Somewhere between the two, perhaps within my mind, these perspectives will meet and a doorway will open taking us beyond all of it.

For now, here are some links to what I'm reading right now:


No comments:

Post a Comment